Saturday, April 24, 2010

Recycled Card for Earth Day

I've been working on a recycled card today, and it still took me more than 10 minutes!

Last night I pulled out my crate of old greeting cards to look for a card to recycle into a new card.  I'm pretty sure I looked through 300 store bought greeting cards.  I had Christmas, Birthday, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Christmas, Thank You...did I say Christmas??!!!! You get the picture.  The majority were Christmas cards - not easy to work with for Earth Day. I found one card image I wanted to use for my focal point. I set that one aside. I decided to use the colors from the image for my card.

Card base: 5x10 Chocolate Chip folded at the top
Recycled products:
More Mustard layer: 4-3/4 square
Background piece: 4-1/2 square 
Ribbon scrap from my stash
Gold elastic cord scrap
Vintage bead from my bead box (I couldn't find my button box!)

I found a glossy political postcard in my junk mail and decided to use that for my designer paper. I wheeled versamark ink all over the postcard with the Very Vintage Jumbo Wheel.  I heat embossed with clear embossing powder and sponged with More Mustard, Pumpkin Pie, Real Rust (it's retiring), and Chocolate Chip ink.  I mounted the background on a layer of More Mustard.

I tore around the card image and sponged with Real Rust, covered the image with Versamark ink and heat embossed with clear embossing powder. (The image was on thin cardstock and had a dull finish - I wanted it shiny.)  I mounted the image on More Mustard, tore the cardstock and used my distressing tool on the edges. I mounted it on Chocolate Chip and used dimensionals to mount it to the background layers. I tied the gold cord around the green ribbon, ran it through the bead and tied a knot.  I punched 2 holes in the More Mustard and background layers and tied the ribbon piece to the back of my card.

Ohh! I also pierced the top left corner of the image layer with my paper piercer.  Have you ever tried to pierce card stock after you have raised and mounted it to the card?  Believe me, it was not easy...

Thanks for stopping by today.  Please leave me a comment to let me know you were here!

4 comments:

  1. What a cute card, and recycled to, a bonus! Happy Earth Day. Isn't it fun to create this way.
    I love the background and the warm colors that you chose, nice job and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was sent here by Sandi and I couldn't have had a better time looking around. This card is wonderful, I love to re-do cards, so Earth Friendly. Your background is just fantastic. I love your color pallet. I'll be back for more, so keep up the great work. Your 10 Minute Card is too funny, but beautiful. I love the way it turned out!

    Cyber hugs, Trish in Wisconsin

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea - recycle old cards. Yours turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandi sent me, love her Blog and looks like I'll be looking forward to yours as well. The Earth Day card is fabulous and shows how wasteful I can sometimes be, so much to reuse.Have a beautiful week. Stamp It Up, Seletta

    ReplyDelete